Blood Clot :(

Well to start off, I am certainly not dying. There were some crazy rumors going around so I wanted to clear that one up first. It started about a week and a half ago, when I noticed my left thigh was pretty swollen. I chalked it up to being pregnant, but like any concerned mom, she had me call my OB, and they immediately told me go to the ER and have it checked out because they had no clue what was going on. I was very hesitant to go as i knew they would probably just laugh and send me home, only after giving them my life savings. So after many hours they checked my leg for blood clots and when it came back negative they sent me home telling me the baby was just sitting weird and I should come back if it gets worse...so basically they didn't know either and they got to charge me for that amazing diagnosis:( The next day the swelling had moved into my calf and foot accompanied with some pretty good pain. However I did not want to go back but again my mom pushed me to go again and not leave without some answers. So once again we trekked back to the ER and got another blood clot check which again came back negative and certain doctors were ready to discharge me but a very persistant PA kept looking for an answer as it was obvious there was something wrong. He finally came up with a test that could be done which involved injecting my veins with ink and looking for clots again with an MRI which would involve some radiation and possible unknown risks to our baby. So basically my mom was not ok with that but knowing this was the only option I had to find the problem I was minutes away from signing the waiver for the procedure when a doctor approached me and told me that the original check actually did uncover a rather large blood clot. Only later did I find out that my results had been mixed up with another patients. So I have a blood clot in my pelvis going into the top of my leg and will have to give myself shots twice a day to suppress my bodies clot making system until baby is born, and then can take oral medication for about three months after that. But most importantly and what I have to think about each time I consider throwing away all those syringes is that our baby is perfectly healthy and growing just like she should. We will continue to check on her each week but so far she has no clue we were in the hospital for a week, but all the nurses got to be witness to how active she is! So all is well but it will be the icing on the cake when baby comes and I can stop hobbling around the house and take care of my healthy baby girl!

1 comment:

Emily Gardner said...

I'm SO sorry Lynzi (sorry a little behind). That doesn't sound like any fun at all!!! My mom had the same thing with her last baby, and I remember watching her tummy turn black and blue from the shots. You're going to be one tough mommy!!! You're almost done!!!